GUIDE TO CHOOSING GOLD

WHAT IS A CARAT AND HOW IT IS USED IN JEWELRY

The karat is a unit of measurement used both to weigh gems and to determine the purity of gold in jewelry.

Gem Weight : In the context of jewelry, a carat represents the weight of a gem. One carat equals 200 milligrams or 0.2 grams. This weight measurement is used to evaluate the value and size of gems, such as diamonds, rubies, or emeralds.

Gold Purity
: When talking about gold, the karat becomes a unit of purity. Pure gold is classified as 24 karat gold. However, pure gold is a relatively soft metal and not very resistant to daily wear. Therefore, it is often combined with other metals to improve its strength and durability.

Gold Jewelry : Gold jewelry is often graded based on its gold content. For example, an 18-karat gold jewel, very popular in Italy, is made up of 18 parts pure gold and 6 parts other metals, such as copper or silver. This ratio means that 75% of the total weight of the jewel is made up of pure gold.

Likewise, 9 karat gold contains only 37.5% pure gold, with the remaining 62.5% made up of other metals. This lower percentage of pure gold affects the color and physical properties of the gold, but offers a more economical option for those who want gold jewelry at an affordable price.

It is important to note that the purity of gold can affect its value and quality. 24k gold jewelry is considered the most valuable, but can be more delicate and require special care. On the other hand, 9, 14 or 18 karat gold jewelry offers greater durability without excessively compromising the quality of the gold.

When purchasing gold jewelry, it is essential to understand the gold content in the jewelry itself. This may be indicated in karat, with a marking such as "18K" or "750" for 18K gold. The marking guarantees that the jewel has the declared gold content.

UNDERSTANDING 375 GOLD AND 750 GOLD: CARATS AND PURITY

When purchasing gold jewelry, it is critical to understand the difference between 375 gold and 750 gold, as these numbers represent the purity of the gold and affect both the appearance and value of the piece.

9K Gold (375) : 9K gold, also known as 375 gold, indicates that the item is made up of 375 parts of pure gold per thousand. This translates into a percentage of pure gold of 37.5%, while the remaining 62.5% consists of other metals such as copper, silver or zinc. This type of gold is popular due to its more affordable prices compared to gold with higher purity. However, it is important to note that 9K gold may have a less intense color than gold with a higher concentration of pure gold.

18K (750) Gold : 18K gold, also known as 750 gold, is considered high quality and has a higher purity than 9K gold. This type of gold contains 750 parts of pure gold per thousand, which means that 75% of the item is made up of pure gold. The remaining 25% is made up of other metals, which are added to give the gold strength and durability. 18K gold is widely appreciated for its beauty and value, and is a common choice for high-quality jewelry.

The choice between 375 gold and 750 gold depends on personal preferences, budget and intended use of the jewel. While 750 gold offers greater purity and value, 375 gold offers a more economical option without compromising beauty and durability.

It is important to note that pure gold is a relatively soft metal, so it is often alloyed with other metals to make it stronger. This combination of metals can affect the color of the gold. For example, adding copper can give a warm pink tone, while silver can contribute to a whiter or pale appearance.

When purchasing gold jewelry, it is advisable to check the marking on the jewelry itself, which indicates the gold content. For example, "9K" or "375" for 9K gold and "18K" or "750" for 18K gold. These markings guarantee that the jewel has the declared gold content.

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN 9K GOLD AND 18K GOLD: CARATS, COMPOSITION AND VALUE

When choosing gold jewelry, it is important to understand the differences between 9 karat gold and 18 karat gold in terms of karat, composition and value. This information will help you make an informed decision that reflects your personal preferences and budget.

Composition : Yellow gold is an alloy composed of pure gold mixed with other metals such as copper and zinc. This combination of metals is used to give strength, durability and obtain different color shades. The percentage of pure gold present in jewelery varies based on their carat weight. For example, a 24-karat piece of jewelry is made up of 99.9% pure gold, while 9-karat gold contains a lower percentage of pure gold.

9K Gold : 9K gold, also known as 375 gold, contains 37.5% pure gold and the remaining 62.5% is made up of other metals such as copper. This type of gold has a lower cost than 18 karat gold because the total weight of the gold present in the jewel is lower. However, it is important to note that the price of diamonds, precious stones and the cost of labor of the artisans remain the same, regardless of the carat of gold. Therefore, the choice between 9 karat gold and 18 karat gold mainly depends on personal preferences and budget.

18K Gold : 18K gold, also known as 750 gold, contains 75% pure gold and the remaining 25% is made up of other metals. This higher concentration of pure gold gives the jewelry a high quality and superior value. 18K gold is widely appreciated for its beauty, its durability and its ability to maintain its value over time. It is a common choice for high-quality jewelry.

Valuation : It is important to note that the value of diamonds, precious stones and the cost of labor of the artisans remain the same, regardless of the karat of gold. Therefore, the final price of a piece of jewelery will depend on factors such as the weight of the gems and the design of the jewel itself, as well as the carat weight of the gold. The choice between 9 karat gold and 18 karat gold therefore depends on personal preferences, desired look and budget.

9K GOLD VS 18K GOLD: WHAT IS OUR RECOMMENDATION?

9K gold, while slightly more delicate and subject to more wear over time, remains an option we love and appreciate. It is an excellent compromise for those who want to save money without sacrificing the elegance of their jewelry. We often wear 9K gold and find that the difference is very subtle.

Therefore, we highly recommend it, especially for purchasing those trendy jewelry that may not stay in style over the years. However, for timeless and valuable jewelry, our recommendation leans toward 18k gold, which offers superior durability and strength.

YELLOW GOLD, WHITE GOLD, ROSE GOLD: WHAT IS THE BEST CHOICE?

When it comes to choosing between yellow gold and white gold, there is no significant difference in quality or value when the gold content is the same. Both offer a touch of elegance and luxury, so the final decision is entirely up to you.

Yellow Gold : Yellow gold is the traditional form of gold that is commonly associated with jewelry. It is obtained by combining pure gold with other metals such as copper and zinc. Yellow gold has a warm golden tone that is classic and timeless. Many people appreciate the traditional look of yellow gold and choose it for its classic beauty.

White Gold : White gold is made by mixing pure gold with white metals such as palladium and silver. Next, it is plated with a thin layer of rhodium to give it a bright, white finish. White gold has a modern, sophisticated look and is a popular choice for those who prefer a more neutral color or who want to highlight gemstones.

In addition to yellow gold and white gold, there is another popular option to consider: rose gold. Rose gold is an alloy composed of pure gold mixed with an amount of copper, which gives the metal a warm, romantic pink tone. The choice between yellow gold, white gold and rose gold depends on personal preferences and individual style.

Rose Gold : Rose gold has gained popularity in recent years due to its distinctive look and femininity. It is an ideal choice for those looking for a unique and romantic alternative. Rose gold may vary slightly in shade, depending on the amount of copper used in the alloy. Typically, the more copper added, the deeper the pink hue will be. Rose gold offers a touch of originality and pairs well with a wide range of gemstones, creating unique and fascinating jewellery.

The choice between yellow gold, white gold and rose gold depends on personal taste, color preferences and individual style. Some people love the traditional, warm look of yellow gold, while others prefer the elegance and modernity of white gold. Rose gold, on the other hand, offers a romantic and distinctive aesthetic that can appeal to those seeking a unique look.

You can also combine different gold colors to create even more personalized jewelry. For example, a ring with a white gold setting and a rose gold weave can create an eye-catching and stylistic effect. Combining the different colors of gold can add additional depth and interest to the jewelry design.

PRODUCTION OF WHITE, YELLOW AND ROSE GOLD

White gold, yellow gold and rose gold are obtained through unique processes that determine their final characteristics. Understanding how it is produced can help you make an informed choice when purchasing gold jewelry. Below is additional information about the production of each type of gold:

White Gold : White gold is usually made by mixing pure gold with white metal alloys such as palladium or silver. This combination gives the gold a white or silvery appearance. However, natural white gold may have a slight yellowish tinge. To enhance its shine and durability, white gold is often further coated with a thin layer of rhodium, a precious metal from the same family as platinum. The rhodium coating gives the white gold a bright, white finish, which may require periodic maintenance to maintain over time.

Yellow gold : Yellow gold is obtained through the combination of pure gold with alloys such as copper and silver. The addition of copper gives yellow gold its characteristic golden color, while silver can contribute a paler or white hue. The amount of copper in the alloy can affect the color tone of yellow gold, creating warmer or cooler undertones.

Rose Gold : Rose gold is made by mixing pure gold with a quantity of copper. Copper gives gold its distinctive pink hue. The amount of copper used in the alloy determines the intensity of the pink color, allowing for a variety of shades, from light rose gold to the deepest pink. Rose gold has become increasingly popular for its unique and romantic look.

It is important to note that the composition of the alloys used to produce gold may vary slightly from one jeweler to another. The exact combination of metals can affect the color, strength and durability of gold.

DURATION AND MAINTENANCE OF WHITE, YELLOW AND ROSE GOLD

When choosing gold jewelry, it is important to consider the durability and maintenance of white, yellow and rose gold. Below is some useful information to understand how to maintain your gold jewelry over time:

White Gold: White gold is generally durable, but requires some maintenance to maintain its lustrous appearance. Over time, white gold may show a slight yellowish tint due to wear of the rhodium coating. However, it is possible to have white gold re-coated with a thin layer of rhodium to restore its brilliant white finish. This operation can be performed by a professional jeweler. Also, avoid exposure to harsh chemicals and remove white gold jewelry during activities that can cause damage, such as heavy household work.

Yellow Gold : Yellow gold is generally more resistant to discoloration than white gold. However, due to its softness, yellow gold can scratch more easily. To maintain your yellow gold jewelry, it is advisable to remove it during activities that may cause damage, such as heavy housework or strenuous sporting activities. Additionally, you can clean yellow gold jewelry using a gentle solution of warm water and mild soap, accompanied by a soft bristle brush. It is important to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners that could damage the gold.

Rose Gold : Rose gold requires similar maintenance to yellow gold. Like yellow gold, rose gold is resistant to discoloration, but can scratch more easily due to its softness. Therefore, it is advisable to remove rose gold jewelry during activities that can cause damage. To clean rose gold jewelry, we recommend using the same gentle solution of warm water and mild soap with a soft bristle brush. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners that may damage the rose gold.

In general, to preserve the beauty and durability of gold jewelry, it is advisable:

- Remove jewelry during activities that may cause damage or scratches.
- Avoid exposure to harsh chemicals such as chlorine, cleaning products or perfumes.
- Clean your jewelery regularly using a gentle solution of warm water and mild soap with a soft bristle brush.
- Store your jewelery appropriately, preferably in a case or pocket

STYLE CONSIDERATIONS FOR WHITE, YELLOW AND ROSE GOLD

When choosing gold jewelry, style considerations can play an important role in choosing between white, yellow and rose gold. Below is some helpful information to help you make a decision based on your personal style:

White Gold Style : White gold, with its silvery shine, is often associated with a modern, contemporary look. This type of gold can be a perfect choice for those who prefer an elegant and sophisticated look. White gold pairs well with precious stones such as diamonds, zircons, emeralds or sapphires, creating a crisp and bright contrast. Additionally, white gold may be particularly suitable for those with a cool skin tone or cooler color tendencies.

Yellow Gold Style : Yellow gold, with its warm golden shine, is often considered a timeless classic. This type of gold can be ideal for those who enjoy a traditional, vintage aesthetic. Yellow gold can be particularly suited to gemstones such as topaz, garnet or yellow sapphire, creating a harmonious combination of warm tones. Additionally, yellow gold can enhance warm skin tones, giving a radiant and welcoming touch.

Rose Gold Style
: Rose gold, with its delicate pink tone, offers a romantic and distinctive look. This type of gold can add a touch of originality and femininity to jewelry. Rose gold pairs beautifully with gemstones such as champagne diamonds, rose quartz or morganites, creating a delicate and sophisticated combination. It is a versatile choice that can suit various personal styles.

The choice of gold depends on your personal taste, your clothing style and the precious stones you wish to set in the jewel. Each type of gold has its own unique charm and can be worn to express your personality and individual style. As expert jewelers, we are always ready to help you choose the metal that best suits your style, needs and combination with the selected gemstones.

THE MEANING OF MARKS ON GOLD

The marks, or hallmarks, you find on your gold jewelry aren't just decorative. They are, in fact, a way to communicate important information about the provenance and composition of your piece. Here's a quick summary of what you might find:

Gold Purity Mark : This indicates the purity of the gold in the piece. For example, "375" indicates that your jewelry is made of 37.5% pure gold, corresponding to 9 carats. “750” indicates a gold purity of 75%, corresponding to 18 karat. Other common brands include "585" for 14-karat gold and "916" for 22-karat gold. These brands are regulated and may vary internationally.

Maker's Mark : This is often a series of letters or a symbol that identifies the company or craftsman who created the piece. This mark is unique for each manufacturer and is registered with the competent national body. It can be useful for identifying the provenance and authenticity of jewellery.

Geographic Origin Marking : Some jewelry includes a mark indicating the country or city where it was produced. For example, a piece of jewelry made in Milan might be branded with the letters "MI". This may be a factor of interest for those who prefer jewelry with a specific provenance.

Year of Manufacture
: Some pieces include a mark indicating the year they were produced. This is often indicated with a letter or a combination of letters and numbers. This mark can provide information on the history of the jewel and may be of interest to collectors.

It is important to note that the marks can be very small and you may need a magnifying glass to read them properly. Additionally, some older or handmade pieces may not be branded. If you have any doubts about the meaning of a mark on your jewellery, do not hesitate to contact an industry professional for advice.

GOLD HYPOALLERGICITY: A SUITABLE CHOICE FOR SENSITIVE SKIN

If you have sensitive skin or are prone to nickel allergies, you may be interested to know that gold is often considered a hypoallergenic metal. Many individuals with metal sensitivities find gold jewelry to be a safe and comfortable choice.

Nickel allergy is common and can cause irritation, redness and itching on the skin when in contact with objects containing this metal. Fortunately, gold is naturally nickel-free, making it a suitable option for those who are sensitive to this common allergen.

However, it is important to note that some gold jewelery may contain traces of metals other than the gold component, such as alloys or coatings. These metals can potentially cause allergic reactions in some people. To avoid problems, it is advisable to opt for high-quality gold jewelry that is made from pure materials and is free from traces of irritating metals.

If you have extreme sensitivities or known allergies to other metals, you may want to consider purchasing high-purity gold jewelry, such as that with a purity of 18 karat or higher. The higher the pure gold content, the less likely it is to contain other metals that could cause allergic reactions.

However, it is always advisable to be careful and pay attention to the response of your skin when wearing gold jewellery. If you experience symptoms of irritation or allergy, it is important to consult a doctor or dermatologist for an appropriate evaluation.